Tournament Status: Tournament Completed
Welcome to the home page for the 2011 NCFA Spring Fling (Novice Only) Tournament tournament hosted by Ohlone College (CA) on May 7, 2011 for College students.
2011 NCFA Spring Fling Tournament
One Day, Novice Only
Saturday, May 7th, 2011 @ Ohlone, Fremont, CA
On behalf of the City College of San Francisco and the Ohlone College Forensics teams, you are cordially invited to attend the 2011 Spring Fling Tournament, taking place Saturday, May 7th on the Ohlone Campus. This is a novice only tournament and coaches should use discretion in selecting students who are beginners in a given event. The tournament offers platform and limited preparation events in Pattern A (Informative, Persuasive, After Dinner, Impromptu) and debate and interpretation events in Pattern B (Prose, Drama, Poetry, Program, Duo, Parli). Note that Extemporaneous Speaking is not offered. Students may compete in no more than 2 events per pattern. Policy debate is also offered, however students in policy debate cannot double-enter. You can register your students to compete in these events at www.forensicstournament.net. All entries and drops must be submitted by Wednesday, May 4th. For additions, changes, and drops after May 4th, e-mail email@example.com.
While results are tabulated and prior to the start of the award ceremony, NCFA will sponsor an honorary showcase in which four selected open competitors from the region present award-winning speeches to the novice competitors. If you would like to nominate a student to be considered for the showcase, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes: 1) the Student’s name, 2) the school represented, 3) a list of awards earned in the 2010/2011 season, and 4) an explanation of how that student exemplifies the finest qualities of intercollegiate forensics. The Robert Hawes award will be given to the student judge providing the most consistently thoughtful, constructive, encouraging, and TIMELY feedback.
IMPORTANT LOCATIONS AND TIMES:
· Registration & Ballot Table: Table in front of Building 5
· Postings & Student Hangout: Cafeteria, Building 5
· Judges Orientation: 3201 at 8:30 a.m.
IE entries are $6.00
Debate Teams are $15.00
Each uncovered IE is $5.00
Each uncovered debate team is 15.00
Each drop after May 4th is 3.00
JUDGING: Coaches and former competitors will contribute to a quality judging pool, ensuring students who are being exposed to the activity for the first time, have a positive experience. Experienced, open competitors are also invited to judge. Student judges not only contribute to the growth of others as supportive listeners and critics, but may also benefit from experiencing forensics from the other side of the table. ALL STUDENT JUDGES MUST ATTEND AN ORIENTATION AT 8:30 A.M. IN ROOM 3201.
· From Interstate 680 North (from San Jose, Milpitas) - Take the Mission Blvd. (238) exit in Fremont and turn right onto Mission Boulevard. Drive about 1 1/2 miles. Ohlone College is located on the left at 43600 Mission Boulevard, Fremont.
· From Interstate 680 South (from Dublin, Pleasanton) - Take the Mission Blvd. (238) exit which is after the Vargas Road exit. Turn left onto Mission Boulevard. Drive about 1 1/2 miles. Ohlone College is located on the left at 43600 Mission Boulevard, Fremont.
PARKING: Participants should park in lots C or D; daily permits will be sent via e-mail to participants.
FOOD: The cafeteria should be open the day of the tournament. If this is not the case a sheet with local eateries will be available at registration. Off campus food arrangements involve a 10-15 minute walk.
Extended Stay - 46312 Mission Blvd., Fremont, CA 94536, (510) 979-1222 (5-minute drive)
Hyatt - 3101 West Warren Avenue, Fremont, CA 94538, (510) 623-6000 (10-minute drive)
Marriot - 46100 Landing Parkway, Fremont, CA 94538,
Get Directions(510) 413-3700 (10-minute drive)
NCFA Spring Fling Schedule
Saturday, May 7, 2011
Individual Events & Parliamentary Debate Schedule
8:30 am Required Student Judging Orientation
8:00-8:30 am Registration - Lobby of Cafeteria
9:00 am Round 1: Pattern A (Impromptu, Persuasion, Informative, ADS)
10:15 am Round 1: Pattern B (Prose, Poetry, Duo, Drama, Program, Parli)
11:30 am Round 2: Pattern A
12:45 pm Round 2: Pattern B
2:00 pm Pattern A Finals
3:15 pm Pattern B Finals & Parliamentary Debate Round 3 (All Teams)
4:15 pm Honorary Showcase - Room: 3201
5:00 pm Awards - Room: 3201
Policy Debate Schedule
8:30am Required Student Judging Orientation
8:00-8:45am Registration - Lobby of Cafeteria
9:00am Round 1
10:15am Round 2
12pm Round 3
1:30pm Awards - Location TBA
- Chabot College (Hayward, CA)
- Chabot College Community College (Hayward, CA)
- City College of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
- Columbia College (Sonora, CA)
- Contra Costa College (San Pablo, CA)
- De Anza College (Cupertino, CA)
- Diablo Valley College (Pleasant Hill, CA)
- Los Medanos College (Pittsburg, CA)
- Ohlone College (Fremont, CA)
- San Joaquin Delta College (Stockton, CA)
- San Jose State University (San Jose, CA)
- Santa Rosa Junior College (Santa Rosa, CA)
- Shasta College (Redding, CA)
- Yuba College (Marysville, CA)
- A - Novice After-Dinner-Spk (9)
- A - Novice Impromptu (54)
- A - Novice Informative (25)
- A - Novice Persuasive (40)
- B - Novice Dramatic-Interp (9)
- B - Novice DUO (2)
- B - Novice Poetry (16)
- B - Novice Prog-Oral-Interp (7)
- B - Novice Prose (14)
Total IE Entries: 176
Pattern - Event - (entries)