Tournament Status: Tournament Completed
Welcome to the home page for the 2011 Griffin Invitational tournament hosted by Grossmont College (CA) on Nov 12-13, 2011 for College students.
Grossmont Community College Forensics Squad cordially invites you to attend the 19th Annual Griffin Invitational Speech & Debate Tournament to be held Saturday & Sunday, Nov. 12th & 13th, 2011 at Grossmont Community College.
Grossmont College is located, approximately 15 miles east of San Diego, in El Cajon, California.
Our college will also host the Ray Dahlin Individual Events Tournament, and NFA-LD, on Friday, Nov. 11th.
ENTRY DEADLINE: 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 9th.
TOURNAMENT SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Individual Events Divisions: Novice and Open
Novice Division I.E.’s
A student who has not won a trophy (1st, 2nd, or 3rd Place) in an event in which a final round occurred. Students competing in an event which is similar; must be novice in all of those similar events. (Platform, Interp., Limited Prep). As an example; a student who is in Open Division in Prose, must also be open in Poetry, even if they have never competed in Poetry. Anyone who has won a Gold, Silver or Bronze at Phi Rho Pi is not a novice. Previous high school participation is also not a novice competitor.
Open Division I.E’s
Any undergraduate in a two-year or four-year college may compete in open division.
- PLEASE NOTE: Individual Event competitors may enter 3 events per pattern,except for those entered in Extemp. or Duo. Anyone entering 3 events per pattern, run the risk of missing a round and if you miss a round due to being triple entered you will forfeit that round.
- Extemper’s and Duo events may not triple enter.
- No material used in competition shall have been used by the student in intercollegiate competition prior to September 1, 2011.
“THE PICKET FENCE AWARD": The purpose of this award is to recognize a student who ranks first in all their preliminary and final rounds of competition in an individual event (6 first places). Traditionally, a student is recognized for this achievement by an announcement at the awards ceremony or by the individual's coach. The Griffin Speech Tournament awards this student with that recognition, as well as with a special "award".
4 rounds of parliamentary debate will be offered with 2 out rounds. Bronze, Silver, and Gold will be awarded. Open, Junior & Novice divisions will be offered, if entries warrant
Parliamentary Debate Divisions: Novice, Junior and Open
NOVICE DIVISION PARLI
A team consisting of students in their first 2 semesters of competition (including high school or home school team policy, LD, Parli, Ted Turner, or other similar formats of debate), and neither team member has advanced to an out round twice. If either team member has competed in two out rounds, they must be advanced to Junior division. Eligibility violations will result in the removal of that team from the tournament.
JUNIOR DIVISION PARLI
Junior debaters may have up to 4 semesters of college debate and should not have advanced to more than two out rounds in Junior competition.
Open debaters are limited to students with 8 or fewer semesters of collegiate competition.
Any debater that has advanced to the elimination rounds at NPDA Nationals is considered an Open Division debater, regardless of the partner’s experience. Eligibility is determined based upon the most experienced partner.
A semester means the student has competed in three or more tournaments of any style of debate.
Parliamentary Debate Logistics:
Oral critiques immediately following the debate are discouraged, for time management reasons.
Please help us keep on schedule. Delays attributed to coach/judges, are at the tournament director’s discretion and may result in penalties to that school’s team (s), including automatic losses or even removal from the tournament.
Written materials may be used in preparation but not consulted in the competition room.
Coaching is allowed, however, it can only occur once the coach has secured their ballot for that round and may not result in a delay of the commencement of the round.
It is illegal to reveal topic information prior to the topic being announced, even if it is printed on the ballot.
The tournament will not offer warm room disclosure.
- Biola University (La Mirada, CA)
- California Baptist University (Riverside, CA)
- Cerritos College (Norwalk, CA)
- Chapman University (Orange, CA)
- Concordia University Irvine (Irvine, CA)
- Copper Mountain College (Joshua Tree, CA)
- Cypress College (Cypress, CA)
- El Camino College (Torrance, CA)
- El Paso Community College (El Paso, TX)
- Glendale Community College at AZ (Glendale, AZ)
- Grossmont (El Cajon, CA)
- Irvine Valley College (Irvine, CA)
- Mt. San Antonio College (Walnut, CA)
- Orange Coast College (Costa Mesa, CA)
- Palomar College (San Marcos, CA)
- Point Loma Nazarene University (San Diego, CA)
- San Diego Christian College (San Diego , CA)
- San Diego Mesa College (San Diego, CA)
- San Diego State University (San Diego, CA)
- University of Texas at El Paso (El Paso, TX)
- Vanguard University (Costa Mesa, CA)
- Westmont College (Santa Barbara, CA)
Total Debate Entries: 86
Pattern - Event - (entries)
- A - Novice Extemp (30)
- A - Open Extemp (34)
- A - Novice Informative (25)
- A - Open Informative (13)
- A - Novice Poetry (12)
- A - Open Poetry (15)
- A - Novice Prose (22)
- A - Open Prose (18)
- A - Novice Speech-to-Ent. (9)
- A - Open Speech-to-Ent. (13)
- B - Novice Comm-Analysis (4)
- B - Open Comm-Analysis (8)
- B - Novice Dramatic-Interp (12)
- B - Open Dramatic-Interp (16)
- B - Novice DUO (3)
- B - Open DUO (12)
- B - Novice Impromptu (76)
- B - Open Impromptu (40)
- B - Novice Persuasive (10)
- B - Open Persuasive (9)
- B - Novice Prog-Oral-Interp (7)
- B - Open Prog-Oral-Interp (7)
Total IE Entries: 395
Pattern - Event - (entries)